Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Director, Dr. M Hamidullah Bhat should explain as to why I, a member of the Council, was not invited to the meeting?


Department of Urdu
Faculty of Arts
Mobile: 9810598859
Email: ara.arjumand@gmail.com



 
University of Delhi
 

Dr. Arjumand Ara

Assistant Professor in Urdu
Member, NCPUL

January 5, 2011
Shri Kapil Sibal
Hon’ble Minister for HRD
Chairman, National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language
Ministry of Human Resource Development,
Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi-1

Sub: Regarding GBM of NCPUL to be held today and functioning of the director.

Respected Mr. Chairman,

I was told by a member of the Urdu Council that GBM is being held on 5th January at 2:30 p.m. Being a member of the Council, I waited to receive my letter of participation and agenda papers till 12:10 pm. today but in vain. This letter is being drafted just two hour before the meeting, and through this I would like to request you to let me know:

1. The Director, Dr. M Hamidullah Bhat should explain as to why I, a member of the Council, was not invited to the meeting?
2. Whether I am the only member whom the director decided not to invite.
3. From which clause of the MoU of the Urdu Council, the director draws his power to disregard general body and takes arbitrary decisions regarding participation of members?

As a backgrounder, I would like to hint at the reasons of this deliberate disdain of the director. I had written to you in September 2009 drawing your attention towards the fact that while the CBI inquiry against him was pending, and the court had directed the CBI to carry on further investigation when the CBI filed a closure report, I request you to replace the directed till the case is over. When the director came to know of this letter, he tried to influence me on telephone, and when I told him categorically that I had to raise certain issues in the GBM he told me that who knows who would be the member by then. I realize now that it was a latent threat that he would not let me participate in any GB meetings.

While requesting you to address my above queries, I stop here at a note of caution that a director who can show utter disregard for the apex body of the Council by flouting the basic right of a member to participate, and to express his/her views, what extent he can go to temper with the very records of the Council that may contain vital proofs of the misappropriation of funds for which he is being investigated. By giving him free access to the records, the Ministry has lessened the chances for the truth to come out.

I hope corrective measures would be taken in this regard.

Sincerely yours,

(Arjumand Ara)
Member, NCPUL

No comments:

Post a Comment